Friday, May 16, 2014

Is there any benefit to using sulfate-free shampoo?

Lots of people swear by sulfate-free shampoo for a variety of reasons: it's better for dry hair, it's better for curly hair, it's better for color-treated hair, it's "healthier", etc. According to The Beauty Brains, tests show that sulfate-free shampoos don't make a difference for hair, but if you have very sensitive skin, they might be irritating. (If you've been using regular shampoos all this time with no problems, though, your sensitive skin is probably fine with them). At that link, they also mention products that might actual help your hair color resist fading. Useful!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I feel like an idiot because I just splashed out $11 on a sulfate-free shampoo (not that that's a great deal of money, but it's considerably more than the $3 I usually spend on my hair detergent). At least it smells nice, like coconut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it won't hurt! If the shampoo works well for you, consider it a treat?

      Delete
  2. With my naturally blonde hair, I HAVE to use sulfates or my hair turns darker. But since I'm cheap I get the knockoff Paul Mitchell stuff from Sally's with the Tea Tree oil.

    My hair is long enough to sit on so I guess it doesn't get all that damaged from the sulfates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, interesting. I've never heard that before!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...