Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fix Your Face Review: NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Bronze

According to the blurb on Cherry Culture, these pencils have been a NYX bestseller for years. One of the major attractions for me was the huge range of colors: Cherry Culture has 36 shades available, ranging from basic neutrals to glittery metallics to acidic neons. Regular price is $4.50 (though they're on sale for $2.99 at the moment).

I figured I couldn't go wrong with something so popular and ended up getting the Bronze shade. Despite the name, it's copper. Definitely not bronze.
Pros:
  • The color is spectacular. It's a true, bright copper, like a brand new penny. It's a bright metallic without any shimmer or glitter. Not pearly or frosty. Usually coppers are on the brown or gold side, but this is just copper. I love the color.
  • The texture is great. Very smooth and easy to apply to the eyelid. Doesn't drag or pull your lid, and doesn't skip.
  • The color is buildable. By that I mean, if it's not opaque enough on the first try, you can add more on top and it won't take off the first layer.
Cons:
  • The first con is that the cons outweigh the pros!
  • It doesn't last. This is a big one and pretty much renders it useless to me. First I tried it on a clean lid. On my oily skin, it already started to wear off and crease in the first 15 minutes. And I wasn't sweating or anything. I don't have much hope that it would do better on drier skin. So it definitely needs primer.
  • It wears off too easily even with primer. The second time I tried it, I used it over Urban Decay Primer Potion, because I was not fucking around. If that can't hold it, it's not worth trying harder. It applied fine, but when I tried to use a soft brush with a little powder eye shadow to blend it into the crease, it started brushing patches off. See the photo below? All the bare spots? I barely even touched that part of my lid with the brush.
  • It's too fat to use as an eyeliner, on my lids. If you have bigger lids, it might work for you, but for me, even just one line straight across is going to extend up near the crease and cause all the above problems associated with that. So I can't use it as an eyeshadow, and I can't use it as an eyeliner.
In the end, I brushed some powder shadow completely over it, and that held fine. It covered up the lovely color, though, so what's the fucking point? Honestly, if a product requires not just one but two additional products (i.e. primer and powder shadow) to be at all useful, it's not useful. Not worth it. It's just cluttering up my makeup drawer.

Maybe the other colors work better. I'm not going to bother to find out. Maybe people with a different eye shape would fare better. I can't test that, myself. All in all, I don't recommend this.

I did like the makeup look I ended up with when I basically painted over this stuff with other eyeshadow, though. I had a good makeup day after all, no thanks to this pencil.

How my eyeshadow ended up.
It's impossible to get a photo with my glasses on where you can actually see
my eye makeup without a huge glare. Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...