Monday, November 19, 2012

Fix Your Face: My Cheap Favorites

Today I’m just going to write about some of my favorite cheap makeup. Some of these I’ve posted about individually before, and others I haven’t. They aren’t all necessarily revolutionary and life changing, but they are are good and reliable and useful. These are the products I tend to use on a daily basis and that I keep buying when I run out.

This is a long one, so get ready.
  • Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel (as primer), $7
Here’s my previous post about this one. I just got a sample from Sephora of Lancome LA BASE PRO Perfecting makeup primer. It costs 42-fucking-dollars a bottle. It looks, feels, and even SMELLS identical to this Monistat shit. I haven’t compared the ingredients, but I’ll wager it is exactly the same. Do not waste your money on that nonsense, or I will have to hunt you down and kick you in the taint.
  • CoverGirl Advanced Radiance Age-Defying Pressed Powder, $9
This is what I put on over my concealer, primer, and eyebrow tint, and under everything else. I don’t know what it is, but pressed powder is just associated with CoverGirl in my mind. I’ve been buying their compacts since I was about 13, when I would get the marbleized green ones. I’ve been using this particular type for at least 8 years now. I’ve tried others, but I keep going back to this one. The shade matches my skin perfectly, and it’s smooth and silky. It keeps things matte on my oily face for hours under normal circumstances. I really doubt that it has any age-defying properties, though.
  • Wet N Wild ColorIcon eyeshadows, $2-5
I’ve gone on and on about these before, so I’ll just say: cheap and amazing.
This has been my standard neutral eyeshadow palette for years and years. It’s great. I use it when I don’t want all the shimmer that’s in the Wet N Wild shadows.
  • CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Blasting Mascara, $8


This is another one of those things that I always, always come back to. I’ve come to realize that mascara is very personal. I don’t mean in a sentimental way, just that it really depends on what kind of eyelashes you have and what kind of look you prefer. I have sparse, blonde lashes. They are normally invisible. This shit makes them look thick and long and not all gross and clumpy. For some people, it’s not the best, but for me it is. I love them all, waterproof or not. So you really have to try out different types of mascara in order to find what works for you. If you’re looking at online reviews, pay attention to before AND after photos, because if the person doesn’t have lashes like yours to begin with, you’re probably going to end up with different results.

Here are some before and afters of mine.

Before:




After (waterproof CoverGirl LashBlast Volume mascara in Brown):



  • e.l.f. Studio Cream Eyeliner, $3

So far the only one I have of these is Copper, but I love it. It goes on smoothly, and you can build it up. Meaning: you can go over it and over it again to make it darker, if you want, and you won’t end up erasing or messing up the first layer. Make sure you use it with eyelid primer, and don’t use the shitty brush that comes with it, and you’re golden. It’ll last all day. It can be a little crumbly, so maybe give your brush a little tap before you put it on. I want more!
  • L’Oreal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Eyeliner, $9


Another love of mine that I’ve been using for nearly a decade. I haven’t found a better liquid eyeliner. It’s easy to use, and it lasts without flaking or smearing.
  • Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain, $8
Wrote about this before too. I like it. I have 4 of them.
  • Avon GLAZEWEAR Lip Gloss, $6
See what I had to say about this here, including a comparison with Mac Lipglass. I have 4 of these too, and I want more.
  • Wet N Wild Color Icon Blusher Pressed Powder in Pearlescent Pink, $3
I’ve written about it before. It’s supposed to be a dupe of that Nars Orgasm blush that is universally flattering. I like it.

Stay tuned for a list of cheap stuff I don’t like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...