Saturday, December 17, 2016

Comparison Swatches of Urban Decay Naked Skin One & Done in Light and Medium Light

Affiliate/Referral Links

Comparison Swatches of Urban Decay Naked Skin One & Done in Light and Medium Light

Despite having a couple of perfectly functional tinted moisturizers (recently reviewed), I had a moment of irrationality recently and bought a tube of Urban Decay One & Done from the UD website. I'd got a sample of it in the Medium Light shade with a previous order. I liked how easily it applied and how natural it looked on my skin, despite the fact that it was clearly a shade too dark. But really just a touch too dark when it was sheered out, so that I was actually able to wear it somewhat plausibly without looking like I was wearing a mask. I reasoned that the next lightest shade, Light (which is also the lightest shade in the range), ought to be perfect.

Well, wrong, so I wanted to post some quick swatches here in case any of you read this because you have a similar skin tone to mine. I lined it up with some other products that are a better match for me.

 Swatches of UD One & Done in Light, UD One & Done in Medium Light, TheBalm Balm Shelter in Lighter than Light, Maybelline Dream Pure BB in Light, Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in Gobi, and Sephora Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer in Buttercream

Left to right: UD One & Done in Light, UD One & Done in Medium Light, TheBalm Balm Shelter in Lighter than Light (reviewed here), Maybelline Dream Pure BB in Light (reviewed here), Nars Sheer Glow Foundation in Gobi, and Sephora Bright Future Gel Serum Concealer in Buttercream (reviewed here).

You can see that Light is still much too dark and orange for me. In fact, I'd say it's barely any lighter than Medium Light, it's just more peachy, while Medium Light is more yellow-brown.

It's partially my fault, because usually things labelled Light don't work for me, and I need Fair or the equivalent. But then the Maybelline BB is an exception to that rule, so I thought I had a chance here.

By the way, just in case you thought the label on the One & Done box might provide an accurate representation of the product's shade, let me disabuse you of that notion:

Comparison Swatches of Urban Decay Naked Skin One & Done in Light and Medium Light

If I had used the box as a guide, I wouldn't put the blame on myself at all, because that sticker looks like a pretty good match for me.

Since we're on the topic of Urban Decay, although I wouldn't advise you to buy this particular product without swatching it in a store first, I thought I'd point something out about their website. One of the current samples/GWP they're offering is the mini-pan of the Fireball eyeshadow that Sephora was giving away a while ago (swatched here). It contains quite a bit of product, and it's a gorgeous duochrome, so if you were contemplating a purchase anyway, now might be your time. Remember you can get free shipping/returns if you sign up for the Beauty Junkies program. I wrote more about the program in this post.

(P.S. I finished my grading. Cookie please?)

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this didn't work for you - I had no idea the Light and Medium Light were so similar! They really should have a Fair shade. I'm almost always the second-lightest shade in a foundation range and the UD Light in this product does work on me, and I love it and push it on everyone - but I'm going to remember this post if someone with super-fair skin wants a recommendation. I've never found a tinted moisturizer/BB product that works as well on me, I think because it's more sheer foundation than moisturizer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the texture/formula was lovely! It just didn't sheer out enough to make up for the shade problem--which I can see being a good thing if it were a match. It looked kind of orange and patchy. I think the darker shade actually worked slightly better because it's not as peach so it maybe looked like I had added bronzer instead of the used the wrong foundation.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...