Tuesday, November 26, 2013

"Stamping" mascara as eyeliner (a trick for those of us with limited eyelid real estate)

The Beauty Department is a great resource for makeup tricks. They make everything look so fucking pretty, though I've had some mixed results trying out their techniques myself. I'd say they work most of the time, but every once in a while there's a fail. Like this two-toned lip tutorial - I couldn't find any combination that didn't just look like the 90s dark lip liner thing. Even when the liner wasn't really darker than the gloss. Maybe that's why there's no full face image? And even though I do layer my skin care products like this, this post is rife with misinformation (the comments point out many of the problems).

One of the treasures I've discovered, however, is this technique of "stamping" mascara at the base of the lashes to basically do the job of eyeliner. I really don't have much eyelid to work with, so sometimes I have to choose between eyeliner and eyeshadow. With this trick, I can get the thickness and darkness of an eyeliner without taking up any extra space on my lid. Since it works so well, I thought I'd share my results.
Before and after stamping at the base of the eyelash roots with mascara.
It's not dramatic, but it definitely does make a difference. Another way to do this is to dot in between the lashes with eyeliner, but this is much faster and easier. All the instructions are at the link above, but you're not actually applying any product to your eyelid. You're just making the base of your lashes darker. You might end up with a little mascara transferring to the lower rim of your eye immediately after you do it, but that's pretty easy to just wipe away.

Here I used CoverGirl LashBlast Volume in Black-Brown for the first two coats and then Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara (reviewed here) to stamp at the base. There's no real reason why you couldn't use the same mascara for both steps. I just like the separation I get from the CG one and the thickness of the Jordana one. And then I'm left my whole eyelid (what little there is) to play with eyeshadows.

1 comment:

  1. Some of those mosturizers and oils they recommend are yeesh--expensive1 Even for me! I've found that my skin feels unbelievably dry after I wash it in the shower, so as soon as I step out, I towel off, and mix my facial oil in with my non SPF moisturizer, and then rub it in. i've found that this helps my moisturizer absorb into my skin better, and usually my skin is soft and un-greasy by the time I've eaten breakfast and brushed my teeth.

    As for the two-tone/ombre lipstick, the best thing to do is to stick with pastel colors, and fill in the lps entirely with one color, and then apply the second color in the middle, and blend. It also helps to place the darker color in teh center of the lips. And there's no gd way you need to use such expensive lip products to achieve that look.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...